[birdky] Warren County

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:49:31 -0800 (PST)

The transient lakes in southern Warren County haven't
formed this winter given the lack of precipitation and
birding highlights have generally been lacking.

A few recent sightings of interest include a Ross's x
Snow Goose hybrid present at Griffin Park since March
21 and a dark-morph Snow Goose present since January
8.  The Snow Goose has become so tame while
associating with the domestics that it will
practically eat out of ones hand, and comes running
with the others to be fed when a vehicle pulls up
beside the lake.  The Ross's hybrid was grazing within
20 feet of me with the domestics while I sat in the
car.  It's amazing how trusting these birds become
while on a "preserve", but one can't get within 1/4
mile of them when they're feeding in a field,
fortunately for them.

3-21

Northern Rough-winged Swallow  Griffin
American Pipit  2 flocks totalling appr. 150 Woodburn

3-24

Blue-winged Teal  2 Meng's Pond
Northern Shoveler  3 Petros Pond
Pectoral Sandpiper  2 Meng's Pond
Wilson's Snipe  several at both ponds

Purple Finches have been present in small numbers at
my feeders daily since March 20.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.