[birdky] Re: Thoughts on Sandhill Crane Hunting issue

  • From: Mary Yandell <mtwy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "susan.ammons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <susan.ammons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:33:07 -0400

There is an identification test crane hunters are required to take to avoid this mistake. Guess some people learn better than others? (other birds included on the test/educational materials have similar markings as the whoopers) The eastern population of whoopers is considered by USFWS as an "expendable experimental population" (since they are being reintroduced to areas from which they were extirpated) so some losses are expected....

Mary Yandell
Louisville

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 8, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Susan Ammons <susan.ammons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since we have evidence of whooping cranes migrating with the sandhills
here, I would be concerned that a hunter wouldn't know the difference
or not realize what he had shot until it fell out of the sky. I wonder
if this is an issue in other states that allow sandhill hunting?

On 9/6/10, Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC) <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx> wrote:
For all those interested in the proposed hunting season on Sandhill Cranes, the Ky. Ornithological Society will be formulating a response to whatever
plan ends up being submitted by the Ky. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
Resources. We cannot yet get ahold of the proposal, so it is impossible to comment substantively on it. When a copy of the proposal is made available, I will be sure to get a pdf version of it posted on the KOS web site and make an attempt to collect comments for the response. Some brainstorming on the topic will be initiated by the KOS board at the upcoming fall meeting. I believe that some semblance of a public comment period (at least a time when folks can voice their support/opposition/comments) will occur sometime in
2011.

So stay tuned ...

Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr., KOS Corresp. Secretary