[birdky] The Rusty Blackbird Blitz continues!

  • From: "Heyden, Kathryn (FW)" <kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:08:30 -0500

We're coming into the second weekend of the Rusty Blackbird Blitz!
Don't forget to keep those Rusties in mind when you're out looking at
birds this weekend!  The weather this winter (snowy, wet and cold) may
be causing Rusty Blackbirds to show up in irregular areas.  Some of the
more reliable locations have not produced sightings this year; while
other less-predictable areas have produced sightings.  Regardless, there
are many more spots to check so let's get out and better document this
species' distribution in our state!

Please feel free to e-mail me for more information, specific to Kentucky
and see below for details.

Rusty Blackbird Blitz will occur January 30-February 15, 2010.  The
Rusty Blackbird Hot Spot Blitz will occur throughout the Rusty Blackbird
winter range in over 20 midwestern and southeastern states.
Participants will simply be asked to visit locations where they have
previously sighted or would expect to encounter Rusty Blackbirds and
submit their observations via e-Bird.

Please see the protocol posted at the website below.  Attached is an
optional datasheet you might use if you find it helpful.  I've also
attached a flyer which contains some general ID tips and info.  The
purpose of the Blitz is to gain a better understanding of the
distribution and habitat use of rusty blackbirds throughout their range,
thus all observations of rusty blackbirds (even those that might visit
feeders during this snow and cold-snap) are valuable!

If you don't use eBird regularly, please consider entering all your
observations of Rusty Blackbirds (even outside the Blitz period).  All
observations will be used by researchers currently studying their steep,
long-term population decline.

Protocol and additional information on identification, habitat
preferences, etc., have been posted on the Smithsonian Migratory Bird
Center's Rusty Blackbird website:

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ConservationAndScience/MigratoryBirds/Research
/Rusty_Blackbird/protocol.cfm

Information is also available on Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology's
e-Bird site:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/rubl-survey-2010

Thanks to anyone who participates and feel free to e-mail me if you'd
like a few ideas for potential areas to search for rusty blackbirds.

Have a good weekend!

-Kate

Kate Heyden

Avian Biologist

Nongame Branch

KY Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources

#1 Sportsman's Lane

Frankfort, KY  40601

Phone:  (502) 564-7109 ext. 4475

Fax:  (502) 564 4519

kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx <mailto:kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx>

www.fw.ky.gov <http://www.fw.ky.gov/>

Did you know... Department of Fish and Wildlife receives NO state tax
dollars and manages wildlife for all citizens?

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachment, is for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly
sender, by e-mail, and destroy all copies of the original message.