[birdky] The GBH and a big fish story

  • From: Tina Nauman <tinanauman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ASK Freelists <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:48:00 -0500

The headwaters of the North Elkhorn Creek are quite small by my house
​and I certainly didn't think it big enough to sustain large fish.

Monday I saw a Great Blue Heron stirring up big waves and what I saw made
me grab my camera and hurry outside.  The GBH had moved upstream and I
didn't have a great view but good enough to see it had landed a huge fish
(a sucker?).

How big was the fish?  It was so big he was unable to swallow it during the
15 minutes I watched. The GBH would pick up the fish and hold it until it
got too heavy, put it back in the water and rest. During several attempts,
when the GBH was able to maneuver the fish into the right position, it was
just too big to be swallowed. The heron finally picked up the fish and
wandered on up the stream. After all that work I hope he had a wonderful
meal!

I hope someone can tell me what kind of fish this is.

I hope you enjoy the photos (you can click on slideshow to see full size
photos)

http://tinanauman.zenfolio.com/p748730373

Tina