[birdky] Sloughs WMA: Cape Hills Unit

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:30:49 -0500

Wood Thrushes were very active calling early. By 7:30AM they were quiet.

At the Moist Soils Unit the water levels in the impoundments were way down. I
have never seen them this low.
The mud flats had Killdeer, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs.

The Moist Soils Unit had undergone some mowing probably last week. Trails were
mowed 10 feet wide and a large area was mowed the same as last year.
But walking this area is difficult due to the stubble left behind from big
weeds and saplings.

The trails at Cape Hills woods are getting grown up with grass and weeds. It
seems the illegal trespass by the four-wheelers is down and the trails are no
longer beaten down from traffic. BUT, if it wasn’t for the four-wheelers there
would be no trails at all.
They are both a curse and good trail maintenance. So I am of two minds about
them.

The woods weren’t too bad this morning. Only had 1 tick, a few mosquitos and
deer flies.

KY Sloughs WMA - Cape Hills Unit, Henderson, US-KY
Jul 31, 2014 6:10 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Cape Hills access from Smith Mills & Cape Hills Moist Soils Unit
of the Sloughs WMA
40 species (+1 other taxa)

Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  3
Great Egret  2