[birdky] Sloughs WMA

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:25:44 -0500

I wasted a lot of gas and time driving out to extreme NW Henderson Co.
Lots of logs & debris across Uniontown/Mt. Vernon Rd. All the usual shorebird
areas are flooded.
I attempted to get to Horseshoe Rd. slough but the water was to deep over the
road.
Don’t tell anyone but I drove around the barricades on 136 to return to the
Sloughs area. The road is really bad, with extreme washouts and sometimes I had
to go at a crawl. Part of 136 has washed away due to the action of the Ohio
River, but there is still enough road left if your not driving a tractor or
semi/oil truck. Neither Union County nor Henderson County have done anything
about the really really bad road conditions out that way.

At the Sloughs the Shorebird Unit was inundated with Pecks. I have never seen
so many. I could not attempt to count them. So I put down 1000.

My FOS:
Dunlin
Least Sandpiper
Dowitcher

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Unit, Henderson, US-KY
Apr 19, 2014 9:40 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Pond Creek Marsh, Hardy Slough, Shorebird Unit
49 species (+1 other taxa)

Greater White-fronted Goose  6     Photos. Continue at J Dance Rd. X 268
Canada Goose  X
Wood Duck  4
Gadwall  6
Blue-winged Teal  70
Northern Shoveler  20
Green-winged Teal  4
Hooded Merganser  4
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  4
Great Egret  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Bald Eagle  5     2 ad. & 1 juv. @ Hardy Slough nest, Photos. 2 ad. above nest
at Anderson Pond
Sora  2
American Coot  200
Killdeer  3
Greater Yellowlegs  50
Lesser Yellowlegs  30
Dunlin  2
Least Sandpiper  X
Pectoral Sandpiper  1000     video & Photos
Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher  2
Wilson's Snipe  25
Mourning Dove  X
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X