[birdky] Sloughs: Shorebird Unit, Pond Creek Marsh 10/25

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:15:19 -0500

Location: Sloughs WMA - Pond Creek Marsh, Shorebird Unit, Hardy Slough
Observation date:     10/25/09

Swaths of corn have been harvested north of Wood Tract, but no water is yet being pumped.
Water continues into Wood Tract south.
One large mixed flock of Red-winged Blackbirds, Starlings and Brown- headed cowbirds. The Tree Swallows were about 50 feet up over Muddy Slough and the Shorebird Unit. I never saw them down near the water as is typical.
First Indigo Buntings at the Sloughs in quite a while.
The Canada Geese continue their presence, but are never seen on the ground or swimming in the water. I see them overhead and apparently
they are putting down at the north end of Pond Creek Marsh out of sight.

Number of species:     48

Greater White-fronted Goose     8
Canada Goose     25
American Black Duck     2