[birdky] Sloughs Saturday

2/23/08

8AM to Noon
28º rising to 30º Overcast, but the big thaw from the Ice Storm started about 11AM with much dripping and crashing of ice.

I covered Muddy Slough, Wood Tract, 268 slough, Crenshaw Tract, Highland Creek/Jenny Hole Unit, 268 slough again, and Straight Line Road.

I attempted to check out Anderson Pond, but the sloped ramp and
hand rail to the Obs. Platform had about an inch of ice on it....I gave up.
Wood Tract was frozen over except a small area at the south edge.
Paved roads were ice free but gravel roads had a thick coating.

Highlights:

Canada Geese 25 at Muddy Slough, 10 at Wood Tract
Snow Geese 200 in Wheat field off of Straight Line Road
Mallards at Muddy Slough, 268 slough
Black Ducks at Crenshaw Tract
Gadwall 25 at Crenshaw Tract
Pintail 1 at 268 slough
Shoveler 15 at 268 slough
Bufflehead 2 at 268 slough
Hooded Merganser a pair at Crenshaw Tract
N. Harrier Crenshaw Tract
Turkey 10 at HC/JH
Robin at HC/JH
Tree Sparrows at HC/JH