[birdky] Sloughs Fieldtrip Changed to Barkley/Ky Dams Saturday 12 April 2008

The location of the KOS/Beckham Bird Club fieldtrip to
the Sloughs wma on Saturday, 12 April 2008, has been
changed to the Barkley/Ky Dams area.  We will meet in
the parking lot below Barkley Dam on the east side of
the river at 0800 cdt.  There will be fast food
available (McDonald's, KFC, Wendy's etc.) near where
ever we are at lunchtime.

I checked out the Sloughs area this morning in
preparation for Saturday's trip.  Most of the area is
still underwater with few birds present and many
places unaccessible.  Few ducks were present and the
only shorebirds I saw were Killdeer, yellowlegs,
solitaries, and snipe.  There were a couple hundred
Rusty Blackbirds scattered and feeding along the edge
of the floodwaters.

The levels of the transient lakes in Warren County are
either stable or slowly rising with little or no
shorebird habitat.  A few yellowlegs and 4 pecs are
all that was present this afternoon at McElroy, as
were the previously reported waterfowl species
including the Surf Scoter.  The number of coots is
increasing daily.  Shorebirding will pick up when the
water begins receding and as we get more into
shorebird season with fieldtrips to be announced.
I'll be birding the area several days per week, so if
anyone needs someone to show them around contact me
off list and we'll try to arrange a trip.

At this time there aren't enough birds at the
transient lakes for a day's fieldtrip...so...off to
the dams where we will use the high water to our
advantage.  Kentucky Dam is forecast to be spilling
until further notice so there should be gulls there to
look through.  There also should still be plenty of
pelicans below Barkley Dam to entertain us.  This is a
good time for rare grebes and loons so we will check
the lakes from a few spots also.  The field below
Barkley Dam could yield a few surprises.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.

E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx