[birdky] Sloughs Fieldtrip 10 October 2009 Highlights

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 07:26:28 -0700 (PDT)

It turned out to be a gorgeous day at the Sloughs wma in Henderson County
yesterday for the KOS/Beckham trip.  Although recent rains had water standing
everywhere, we were able to record 91 species with highlights listed below.

Dabbling Ducks (all species except American Black and Northern Pintail)
Northern Bobwhite
Double-crested Cormorant (several flocks overhead throughout the day)
WHITE-FACED IBIS
LEAST BITTERN
Great Egret (17+)
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
SORA (4)
Lesser Yellowlegs
Wilson's Snipe
Woodpeckers (all Kentucky species)
Blue Jay (southbound flocks overhead all day)
Tree and Northern Rough-winged Swallows (overhead all day)
House Wren
Winter Wren
SEDGE WREN (4)
MARSH WREN (2)
Hermit Thrush
Nashville Warbler
Northern Waterthrush
LECONTE'S SPARROW (2)
NELSON'S SPARROW
Lincoln's Sparrow (several)
Indigo Bunting
Dickcissel
Bobolink (several)

The ibis was first observed as it dropped into the pond area at Hardy Slough
where there was a group of egrets feeding.  It then flew toward hwy 268 before
we could see it well enough to ID to species.  Then it reappeared at Hardy
Slough where we were able to confirm it as a White-faced based on the red eyes
and pinkish loral skin.  It again flew toward the north and was dive-bombed by
a harrier.  Later in the afternoon we saw it feeding in the field east of Tram
Road and just before dark we saw a Plegadis ibis flying over Pond Creek Marsh
which may have been the same bird.

I would like to thank the participants for their effort and teamwork in making
it a fantastic trip

David Roemer
Bowling Green