[birdky] September 9 birding

  • From: Paul Hager <bereahager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 18:01:53 -0400

Berea, Madison County
Paul Hager
Christine Sparks, a California birder and I went birding today in three places.
 We went to Battlefield Park (between Richmond and Berea on US 421), Owsley
Fork Lake and Berea College Forest.    Saw 37 or heard species.  Only three
warblers, but a Common Tern, Blue-Winged Teal and Orchard Oriole were
highlights.

BCF ? Berea College Forest
OF ? Owsley Fork Lake
BFP ? Battlefield Park
If no designation, birds were at Owsley Fork Lake

American Crow

American Goldfinch (everywhere)
American Robin (BCF and BFP))
Black and White Warbler

Black-Throated Green Warbler
Blue-Winged Teal

Carolina Chickadee

Carolina Wren

Chimney Swift (BFP)

Chipping Sparrow (BCF)

Common Tern

Downy Woodpecker (BCF)

Eastern Bluebird (BCF)

Eastern Meadowlark (BFP)

Flycatcher ssp. (BCF)

Great Blue Heron (BFP and OF)
Green Heron (BFP and OF)

Hermit Thrush

Kestrel (BFP)

Killdeer (BFP)

Mallard

Mourning Dove (everywhere)

N. Cardinal

Orchard Oriole (BCF)

Pied-Billed Grebe (BFP)

Pileated Woodpecker (BFP, OF, BCF)
Plover ssp. (May have been a Semi-palmated Plover)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (OF and BCF)
Red-shouldered Hawk

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Starlings (everywhere)