[birdky] Scissor-tailed flycatcher

  • From: "john and phyllis niemi" <jandpniemi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 06:25:53 -0500

They're back! Or at least one of them, anyway.  John and I saw a scissor-tailed
flycatcher, in the company of an Eastern kingbird, in the top of a small tree
near the restroom building below Barkley Dam on the east side, at 7:40 p.m.
last night. Yesterday morning we left Nashville at
9:00 a.m. and arrived home at 8:20 p.m. (Total distance 100 miles) So
we took a lot of back roads/stopped oftento watch birds.  Others of note
seen (in Kentucky) summer tanager, N. parula warbler, yellow-throated warbler,
common yellowthroat.  Black-crowned night herons are plentiful
again at Barkley Dam.  Last entry for yesterday's list was a chuck-will's
widow, calling briefly near
our new place (Hwy. 730 near KSP in Lyon County) before he was drowned out by
three species
of frog around 8:00 p.m.Good birding, everyone!

John & Phyllis Niemi
Lyon County, KY