[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 20:11:30 -0500

Our species count at Schochoh is creeping up with each passing week (42 this
week), as the fall migrants start to trickle through. I counted FOS Yellow
Warbler (there were several). I remember that, last year, August was the
"Month of the Gnatcatchers" and this year is turning out the same. I saw
them practically everywhere again; in fact, I was rinsing a dish in the
kitchen sink, late this afternoon, and glanced out the window to see a
Gnatcatcher on the deck rail! I little later, I was standing in the pond
thicket and one flew past me so close that I heard its tiny wings flutter.

The other highlight was Cliff Swallows. They've been a rare sight here, but
this is the third consecutive weekend list that I've counted them. On
Friday evening, there were at least a dozen.maybe 20, feeding in a mixed
flock with Barn Swallows. I almost fell over trying to pick a Rough-winged
or Tree Swallow out of the swirling mess, but, if any were there, I could
not pick them out.

The GHO was booming, from across the field, a full two hours before sunset,
today.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Northern Bobwhite