[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:10:49 -0500

It was messy here yesterday morning, but then it turned into a really lovely
and birdy weekend. The 40 species was, by far, our highest count ever for a
late June weekend here.

Standouts were a Common Yellow-throat, calling from the pond thicket
yesterday; our first Yellow-billed Cuckoo of the year, which was also
calling from the pond thicket yesterday and a Great-crested Flycatcher in
the woodlot across the road, this morning. GHO have been scarce lately, so
it was good to hear one last evening (before sundown).

I got to thinking lately that our resident Mockingbirds do
great-Great-crested Flycatcher calls.all the time. And, since they're here
being annoying, bossy, and defending their turf all year, they must be
hearing that Flycatcher call enough here to learn to imitate it well. That
seemed odd, because I don't hear the real thing very often. Anyway, I've
started listening specifically for that distinctive Flycatcher call, and
this morning it paid off.

Btw, our persistent Bluebird pair hatched their brood of babies on Friday,
just 23 days after losing their first to a House Sparrow. I hope these four
fare better than the first brood.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Northern Bobwhite