[birdky] Rpt: Snowy Owl

  • From: de_lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Freelists, BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:15:57 +0000

The other half of our ASK group stopped at Exit 16 on I-65 on the way back from our Muscatatuck trip Sunday (11/23/08) afternoon and were able to locate the Snowy Owl also. Following is the note I got from Terry Koontz this morning.

We drove into the “Love’s” truck stop (car side) and parked at the rear of the lot (past McDonald’s).  Then we walked past a yellow fence, across a wide expanse of asphalt (looks like a former truck-turnaround area; now fenced off), and down a dirt/shale access road that goes to a billboard.  The owl was sitting on the uppermost branch of a fallen tree, near the rear-center of an expanse of (gone-to seed) field flowers.  It stayed on that same perch for the entire 20-30 minutes we were there.  WOW!!!!!!

What an absolutely MAGNIFICENT bird!  His (her?) head turns almost all the way around.  Bright yellow eyes!!  Surprising how close we could get without (apparently) disturbing the owl.

David Lang

Scott County