[birdky] Re: Reported Number of Sandhill Crane

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mikesindahouse@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 19:21:53 -0700 (PDT)

Michael,

There are approximately 60,000 birds in the Eastern Population of the Greater
Sandhill Crane, the population that migrates through Kentucky.  The count of
approximately 20,000 is accurate, I was there and counted them.  This number
represents a one day count on 15 February 2010, which was the date of the peak
number of cranes at Barren during their northward migration that year.  That
number dropped to less than 500 birds present in the roost 5 days later.

Much information is available on the Kentucky Coalition for Sandhill Cranes
website, including the International Crane Foundation's (ICF) assessment of the
Kentucky hunt plan.  A link to the KCFSC site is here:

http://kyc4sandhillcranes.wordpress.com/

The ICF has recommended that the hunt plan not be implemented at this time due
to the need for more population study.  A link to that assessment is here:

http://kyc4sandhillcranes.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/icf-kentucky-assessment-kcsc-final.pdf

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) has this
assessment.  The need for more population study was addressed at the May 6
Wildlife Committee meeting and the June 3 Commission meeting.  The KDFWR
commissioners disregarded ICF's recommendation and unanimously approved the
hunt plan on June 3.

If one wishes to oppose the crane hunt, the best course of action at this time
is to write the governor requesting that he withdraw the regulation, as well as
writing the legislators who are involved.  Ask the legislators to request that
the governor withdraw the regulation.  An on-line link for contacting the
governor here:

http://www.governor.ky.gov/contact/contact.htm

And the legislators here, click on names for addresses:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/org_adm/lrc/members.htm

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Committee/statutory/Admin%20regs/members.htm

This and more can be found on the KCFSC "Call to Action" page here:

http://kyc4sandhillcranes.wordpress.com/call-to-action/

The KDFWR is having an open comment period this month.  Your comments regarding
the hunt can be sent to Rose Mack at:

rose.mack@xxxxxx

Or mailed to:

KDFWR, Attn Rose Mack, US 60, Frankfort KY 40601

There will be a public hearing on the hunt at 9am at KDFWR in Frankfort on July
21 which all should attend to express their opinion.

Thank you for you interest and concern,

David Roemer
Bowling Green