[birdky] Redwings

  • From: JEswindell@xxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:01:22 EDT

We have what appears to be a migration staging roost going on around our
pond.  There are hundreds, not thousands, of Redwinged Blackbirds who come
in at dusk.  As many as can fit in roost in the cattail bed where they
nested.  Others perch in hardwood trees nearby.  There do not appear  to be
many,
if any at all, adult females.  There are first year males  visible among
the adult males.  We always have nesting around out pond, but  have never
noticed the roost before.  As the males arrive before the  females in spring, I
suppose the females must have started south already.

John Swindells
Nelson County