[birdky] Red River Gorge follow-up report

  • From: FrankRenfrow@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:25:15 EDT

We just returned from a five day  follow-up trip/vacation to the Red River
Gorge, 6/15-19. We were finally  able to locate breeding Red-breasted
Nuthatches
at a significant  distance from Rock Bridge. A pair was observed about 3
miles distant, in  the Parched Corn Creek vicinity on 6/16, and a nest was
found
on  6/18. The Chestnut-sided Warbler was still singing on territory behind the
Sky  Bridge picnic area when we left today (the 19th). We found several
additional  locations with Swainson's Warblers along Parched Corn and Swift
Camp
Creek.  The bird near Natural Bridge was still present on the 18th.  This
Swainson's can be heard from a pull-off on the right going  south on KY 11, 1.9
miles
past the Wolfe/Powell Co. line, from across the Middle  Fork of the Red River
(actually just a small creek at that point). Most of the  usual species
including Blue-headed, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos,  Hooded,
Worm-eating,
Black-throated Green, Pine and Yellow-throated  Warblers, Northern Parulas,
Ovenbirds and Louisiana Waterthrushes were  found in good numbers, many of
these
observed feeding recently fledged  young. We had wonderful weather for the
trip, every day was  relatively cool and sunny and most species were still in
full  song. All in all a great Eastern KY get-away.

Frank and Veronica Renfrow
Bellevue, KY