[birdky] RPT: grackles eating beechnuts

  • From: "scott freidhof" <scottf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:31:57 -0500

I did some exploring on Friday (3rd) at the Yatesville Lake WMA wetlands
section in Lawrence County.  I stumbled into a large black gum tree in
the forest that was loaded with berries.  A small group of cedar
waxwings flew in and fed on the berries.  A pair of flickers did the
same.  Up the ridge a little bit, after crossing the old strip mine and
re-entering the forest, a blue jay flew across in front of me and buried
a nut under the leaves.  I watched it fly back to a beech tree that was
loaded with beechnuts.  The beech tree was within 20 yards of the strip
mine edge.  I was not surprised by the blue jay's nut foraging activity.
What did surprise me was the small group of grackles actively feeding on
the nuts in the top of the tree too.  I could hear and occasionally see
the main group of grackles flying from canopy to canopy nearby.  I did
not follow-up to determine if the big group was finding nuts.

Scott Freidhof

Morehead