[birdky] RPT: a few odds and ends in Jefferson County; Northern Bobwhite, Willow Flycatcher and other birds of associated habitats

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:52:07 -0400

I have had a few hours here and there to bird, but no all day birdathons which
I enjoy doing.  This is just a report of some of the more exciting things I
have found while attempting to find evidence of breeding birds.

Monday May 25- a bike ride down Crittenden on my way to work turned up no less
than 5 separate calling Willow Flycatchers!

Saturday May 30-Rod Botkins joined me at Mcneeley Lake South where the model
airplane field is between 9:00-10:30am in hopes of finding some Prairie
Warblers.

Great Blue Heron-1 flyover

White-eyed Vireo-2 singing birds reluctant to show themselves

Prairie Warbler- at least 5 singing

Yellow-br. Chat-1-2 singing adjacent to "airfield"

Summer Tanager-1 heard

Northern Oriole-1 heard

Eastern Meadowlark-several singing at scattered remnant farms along Cedar Creek
Road near Mcneely Lake South recreation area

Saturday and Sunday May 30 and 31- I visited the tattered remains of the
Chamberlain lane grassland habitat and found a few birds clinging on to dear
life in the midst of "progress." Both of these visits were made between the
hours of 7:30-9:00pm, and on the second evening I was joined by Rod Botkins.

Northern Bobwhite-2 flushed from the side of the road the first day and 1 pair
and several other individuals calling the second day- first I've seen in 6-8
years?

Black Vulture -2 seen soaring the second day

Willow Flycatcher-1 seen the 30 and 2 heard on the 31

Horned Lark-several seen singing and chasing both days- what a sight!

Blue Grosbeak-1 male sang briefly from a wire on Sat. and probably 2 pairs were
seen Sun. with a copulation witnessed

Grasshopper Sparrow-1 seen singing from a post on Chamberlain on Sat. and heard
the following Sun. -an unexpected and exciting find!

Common Yellowthroat-2 maybe 3 singing suprisingly few for such good habitat

Eastern Meadowlark- only a few seen or heard but there may have been more in
areas off of Schuler lane that I didn't see

Over the last few day of driving to and from work on Fern Valley I have seen
Green Herons, Great Egrets, Black-cr. Night-herons, Cooper's hawks, and i think
I heard a Yellow Warbler briefly between Fegenbush and Watterson Trail but I
will have to investigate further as it was not in prime habitat

Good Birding,

Michael Autin

Louisville, KY