[birdky] RPT: West KY 24-25 March 2010

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:40:44 -0400

Eddie Huber, Mark Monroe, and I visited west KY 24-25 March. Highlights
included ...

24 March ... all day in western Fulton County, mostly Lower Hickman Bottoms ...
overall a disappointing day; much good shorebird habitat but only 5 species
including at least 125 + 20 American Golden-Plovers; about 15 Greater
Yellowlegs; and 100-150 Pects.  Only one male Brewer's Blackbird and only two
single Vesper Sparrows.  Nice assortment of dabbling ducks scattered about,
mostly around Long Point Unit, plus 25 Redheads at Island No. 8 Slough.
Couldn't believe that given the nice day and time of year that we could not
locate a Western Meadowlark. PLENTY of Bald Eagles, mostly in vicinity of Lake
No. 9. Groups of American White Pelicans moving both north and south during the
day.

25 March ... rainy morning in Ballard County ... only highlight was at least 35
Brewer's Blackbirds in the Smokey Road cattle feed lot. Northern ends of Ky
Lake and Lake Barkley yielded following:

Eared Grebe ... nice looks at one in basic plumage in the mouth of Little Bear
Creek, Kentucky Lake.

Great Black-backed Gull ... we finally saw the 3rd-year bird ... it was eating
a fish on the water above the dam not far off the Ky Dam Village marina.

Great Black-backed Gull ... 1st-year bird ... on Lake Barkley at the Green
Turtle Bay marina area, including on the roof there with other gulls.

Lesser Black-backed Gull ... advanced 2nd-year or 3rd-year bird on island in
Lake Barkley off Green Turtle Bay.

Long-tailed Duck ... basic plumaged imm./female bird on Lake Barkley up against
the dam as viewed from Green Turtle Bay.

About 25-30 Common Loons scattered on Ky Lake; a few Horned Grebes in alternate
plumage. Small groups of Am. White Pelicans just about everywhere. Not a whole
lot of waterbirds on either lake as compared to numbers in recent weeks. We
also probably saw a pair of Surf Scoters on Ky Lake above the dam but just
couldn't get the look we wanted.

bpb, Louisville