[birdky] RPT: Update on Northern Shrike in Jefferson County

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 19:10:33 -0500

A few early-birds got to see the Northern Shrike at E.P. Tom Sawyer State Park
in eastern Jefferson County late this morning; however, it disappeared about
noon and was not relocated by anyone that I am aware of including myself :o(

According to Carl, the bird was seen in the open fields with scattered trees
and saplings that are between the northernmost set of soccer fields (the set
behind .... west .... of the main building and swimming pool) and the model
airplane field (which is over along Hurstbourne Lane).

There were not many birds in the area, but we did find a female/imm. Merlin
perched near another field to the south and west of the archery range, and I
got nice looks at a tiny male Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Some of us will be searching again in the morning for the shrike.

bpb, Frankfort