[birdky] RPT: Transient Lakes tour, June 15, 2011

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:47:49 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Eddie Huber and I finally had an opportunity to get out and tour some of the
lingering transient lakes and ponds today. As the middle ten days of June are
typically the "doldrums" for migratory waterbirds, we figured the day would be
as much a scouting trip for habitat that might be around in early July as
anything, but we had quite an enjoyable day. Broods of Canada Geese, Mallards,
and Wood Ducks were seen at most locales. A rundown of our other findings
follows:

Western Hardin County: where there was water everywhere in early May there are
now only a few sizable bodies of water remaining; best ponds are visible from
KY 86 and Black Branch Road ... however, we encountered our only thunderstorms
of the day while in this area so we didn't see much. Oddest birds were 2
Double-crested Cormorants in flight over Dranes Lakes. BTW ... Ryan Ankeny
reported a Common Gallinule on a pond on the west side of KY 1375 north of
Franklin Crossroads last weekend.

Swallow Spring Pond, Christian County: nice array of summer oddities and
nesters including 10 Great Blue Herons, 3 Green Herons including one incubating
on a nest, at least 6 Pied-billed Grebes including one on a nest; 10 American
Coots; 2 Common Gallinules; male Gadwall.

Morgan Pond vicinity, Christian County: lake is holding pretty high still;
perhaps has dropped only a foot; this is making it good for nesting; at least
10-12 Pied-billed Grebes including 2 nests seen with an adult turning eggs on
one; 1 or 2 Black-necked Stilts, but it/they did not appear to be engaged in
nesting; 17 American Coots; EIGHT Common Gallinules including what appeared to
be 3 pairs including one that Eddie caught copulating; 2 Double-crested
Cormorants; 1 basic Common Loon.

KY 739 Pond, Logan County: no migratory shorebirds; 2 (a pair?) of Black-necked
Stilts as reported by Frank Lyne from yesterday; the male was doing distraction
displays and very agitated at our presence, but the female couldn't have cared
less; I think she realized they had given up trying for a family this year but
he was still of the mindset that they were still going!; they probably failed
somewhere in the vicinity and have moved to this pond; the pair of Ring-necked
Ducks continues.

Chaney Lake, Warren County: just commoners other than a single Pied-billed
Grebe; level is dropping but not great shorebird habitat.

McElroy Lake, Warren County: has dropped significantly from it's max; if hot,
dry weather returns, may last only 2.0-2.5 weeks? ... longer if rain continues.
Lots of Mallards but disappointingly few other ducks; in fact, we managed only
a single pair of Blue-winged Teal; LOTS of Barn and Tree Swallows, with a few
Bank, No. Rough-winged, and Purple Martins; 3 Semipalmated Plovers, 8
White-rumped Sandpipers, 1 Dunlin.

The only other body of water in the southern Warren County vicinity that we
visited and was still present was Petros Pond; all other spots we drove by were
dry.

bpb & ebh