[birdky] RPT: Swainson's Warbler - Elliott County

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:09:31 -0500

I had a chance to hike around on the new Laurel Gorge WMA in Elliott County
this afternoon.  This WMA is about 700 acres in size and almost connects to
the much larger Grayson Lake WMA except for about a 30-acre patch of private
ground between the two.  The forest canopy is dominated by beech, poplar,
maple, and some hemlock.  The forest understory is composed of rhododendron
thickets of varying densities.  Hooded warblers were probably the most
common bird heard today, but we did manage to hear one Swainson's warbler
for sure and possibly a second further off.  Otter tracks were evident along
Laurel Creek.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County