[birdky] RPT: Rufous Hummingbird at Elizabethtown

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 17:32:11 -0500

I caught an adult male Rufous Hummingbird at Elizabethtown, Hardin County
today. I would have banded this gorgeous little hummer, but it already had some
jewelry on its left leg ... :o)  It was originally banded in February 2008 in
Louisiana ... it would be interesting to know if his wintering territory has
shifted north or it is still on it's way south??? Perhaps coming weeks will
provide a clue. This bird was first noticed just last week, so the recent cold
snap probably finished off most of the late-blooming flowers and pushed birds
to feeders.

I forgot to ask about birders coming to see the bird, but I suspect it will be
OK. I'll email the host, Caroline Gregory, to be sure it is OK and post
directions and contact info as soon as I hear back.

BPB, Louisville