[birdky] RPT: Red Tail Hawk next-Lexington

  • From: "Mark P. Morgan" <mpmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1986 21:24:42 -0500

Two weeks ago I discovered a Red Tail Hawk next in Lexington. What caught my
eye when driving  was a hawk in flight with something rather long dangling from
its beak. At first thought it had a snake, but seemed a bit cool  for snake
activity. Not able to stop for a closer view came back on the weekend with
binos and scope. Quickly discovered the nest in the same tree in which the bird
landed a few days earlier. On this visit could see the head of an adult bird as
sat on the next. The mate  perched to the side and slightly above the nest.
Shortly, the perched bird flew to a nearby tree and surprisingly and with a bit
of effort snapped off a twig and returned to the nest placing the small branch
onto the nest. The nest builder returned to its perch.  A few minutes later the
 nested bird flew off and within another few minutes the perched bird hopped
down into the nest to take over the incubating duties. I waited for another
10-15 minutes to see if the other bird returned. It didn't, I had to move on
with my errands. Haven't had a chance to return. Oh, I believe the snaky thing
was a branch for the nest building. Haven't had to chance to stop by again to
check the progress. Such a wonderful small pleasure to behold.

The nest is located on Sir Barton Way off Winchester Rd.  Going East on
Winchester turn right on Sir Barton.  At .3 mi. on left look for culvert with
small stream crossing under Sir Barton. The nest is located in a Sycamore tree
just past the stream on the left. Be careful-There is no safe place to pull off
and the road has curbs. I pulled up on the curb (pick-up truck) and onto the
utility easement, but probably not legal.

Mark P. Morgan