[birdky] RPT: Misc sightings May 15-23 west KY

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 21:27:26 -0400

I have been in western Kentucky this week sharing Hap Chambers' banding station
at Clarks River NWR with 6-12 other students of the humbling endeavor of ageing
and sexing songbirds ... I haven't felt so dumb since I was in college!

During the week there were the following highlights:

18 May on the way down ... I checked on a Lark Sparrow nest I saw being built
two weeks ago in western Henderson County and found it to have been destroyed
(at least 2 crushed eggs) the previous day by the planting of a corn crop :o(
At least a pair was still in the field and I saw them copulating, so hopefully
a new nest will soon be under construction.  At the Camp #9 coal prep plant
there was a pair of Black-necked Stilts and a pretty American Avocet.

During the week of bird training at Clarks River, we had the following
migrants: 1 Yellow-bellied Flycatcher banded with a couple more heard; a few
Alder Flycatchers heard; 1 female Mourning Warbler banded with a male heard; 1
Connecticut Warbler heard singing nicely but only glimpses obtained;
singing/banded Magnolia and Wilson's warblers; singing Canada Warbler.

On Tuesday evening we went by and saw the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers along KY
453; the  birds have switched nest building activities back to the original
utility pole on the east side of the highway.

bpb, Frankfort