[birdky] RPT: Misc sightings

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard \(EPPC OOS KNPC\)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:56:19 -0500

I neglected to post a few odds and ends from part of a day in the field
last Friday, November 10th, with Bill Lisowsky. We had a LeConte's
Sparrow, Fox Sparrows, and several Eastern Phoebes and Brown Thrashers
in the Land Between the Lakes Long Creek Waterfowl Refuge area. While
running some rural roads in Trigg and Christian County, we tallied six
species of shorebirds including 7 Greater Yellowlegs, 5 Least Sps, 13
Dunlin, and 8 Wilson's Snipe on a cluster of ponds on the north side of
US 68 east of Cadiz and 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 3 Least Sps, 18 Wilson's
Snipe, and a juv. Long-billed Dowitcher on a transient pond along KY 107
in southern Christian County. Recent rains have brought up many
transient ponds in Trigg County, but as you head east towards
Hopkinsville, you can see them gradually disappear.

That afternoon on the way home I stopped in briefly at Lake Peewee and
had mostly just common waterfowl; there were also 1 Common Loon, 35
Horned Grebes, and a f. Red-breasted Merganser.

Mike Morton, manager of Sloughs WMA emailed me this morning announcing
that 7 Tundra Swans have returned to Sauerheber. They were on the north
side of KY 268 at the "Woods Tract" this morning.

bpb, Frankfort