[birdky] RPT: Logan County Observations

  • From: "Mark Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:39:50 -0600

09 February 2012:

I made my usual rounds visiting Lake Herndon Guthrie Swamp and some of the
many transient ponds in south/southwest Logan County today.  At most
locations, I observed nothing of note and I forgot to check on the Eagle
Nest at Guthrie Swamp.  Actual observations were as follows:

* Lake Herndon produced its 3 Pied-billed Grebes;
* C Cauley Road Transient Pond produced 3 Mallards, 1 Ring-necked Duck, and
7 Hooded Mergansers; and
* KY 739 Transient Pond had 4 Mallards and 4 Northern Pintails.

At Mosley's Pond, high water prevented visual observation without a boat or
getting the lower legs wet, but I heard a few Canada Geese and a few
apparent Mallards; Guthrie Swamp had nothing but a few Canada Geese.

Mennonite Transient Pond on US 79, John U Young Transient Pond and the US
431 Transient Pond yielded nothing.

That concludes this report

Mark Bennett
Russellville, Logan County