[birdky] RPT: Henderson County shorebirds

While out in Henderson County yesterday, May 4th, I was able to spend way
too little time with two really nice groups of shorebirds, one on the
Shorebird Unit at the Sauerheber Unit of Sloughs WMA and the other at the
western end of what I call "Semi Slough" which lies on the north side of KY
268, past the 90 degree right and left turns after the WMA. According to
Area Mgr, Mike Morton, many of the birds at Sauerheber have been around for
a few days.

Species followed by approx. # at Sauerheber; # at Semi Slough (hard to count
at shorebird unit because of cover and switching)

Semi Plover; 8; 30
Killdeer 1; 10+
Greater Yellowlegs 12-20; 25+
Lesser Yellowlegs 35-50; 225+
Solitary Sandpiper 3; 15-20
Spotted Sandpiper --; 3
Least Sandpiper 25-35; 15-25
White-rumped Sandpiper 3; 5+
Semipalmated Sandpiper --; 1
Pectoral Sandpiper 40-60; 35-50
Dunlin 31; 57
Stilt Sandpiper 1; 4
Long-billed Dowitcher 13; 10
Wilson's Snipe 3; --
Wilson's Phalarope 3; 2

It had been a long time since I had been so close to Wilson's Phalaropes ...
two of the birds at Sauerheber appeared to be associating as a pair and they
were calling back and forth to one another (or this may be one call by the
male or female alone); it it has to be one of the oddest shorebirds sounds
in North America (a sort of moaning that Sibley reminded me was not unlike
the strange calls of Black Skimmers).

I also heard 6 Least Bitterns on the day; 2 at Sauerheber and 4 at the Camp
Mines complex in Union County. A few waterfowl remain at the latter locale
but shorebirds were lacking due to a lack of habitat :o(

bpb, Louisville

E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx