[birdky] RPT: Ballard County CBC results

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:01:31 -0500

Yesterday was the antithesis of Saturday, with a beautiful blue sky all
day and light afternoon breeze. A calm frosty morning yielded only the
expected owls and no American Woodcocks, although my FIRST bird of the
day (in total darkness about an hour before sunrise) was a calling
Lapland Longspur overhead ... won't experience that ever again I'm sure!
Four observers in three parties tallied 94 species. Waterfowl highlights
included flock after flock of Snow Geese passing over with maybe
10,000-20,000 around. There were also probably 2000 or 3000 Greater
White-fronted Geese and among them we picked out 2 Ross's Geese and 28
Cackling Geese. There were also 10s of thousands of Mallards along with
15 other duck species. Non-waterfowl highlights included nothing rare,
but good numbers of Bald Eagles, Eurasian Collared-Doves in Kevil,
decent numbers of Red-headed Woodpeckers, an Eastern Phoebe, three
Red-breasted Nuthatches (a count-first), American Pipits, American Tree
Sparrows, large flocks of Lapland Longpsurs at two locations, two
locales with Brewer's Blackbirds (2 & 19), and a single Purple Finch. I
counted both vultures that were viewed from within the count circle, but
while being observed were just out; however, I didn't count Barn Owl
pellets and a feather I found in an old silo near Monkey's Eyebrow :o)

If only every CBC could occur on such a nice day!

bpb, Frankfort