[birdky] RPT: Ballard County CBC results

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard \(EPPC OOS KNPC\)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:09:04 -0500

Hap Chambers, Scott Record, and I worked the Ballard County CBC
yesterday, December 18th. We tallied a new high count for species with
95, besting the 93 in winter 2004-2005. The day was gray with a nearly
constant northwest breeze keeping conditions relatively raw in
comparison to the balmy weather of recent days. Complete results will
appear in the February issue of The Kentucky Warbler. Highlights of the
count are listed below:

21 species of waterfowl including smaller-than-normal numbers of geese:
circa 725 Canadas; 4 Ross's; 250 Snows; 425 Greater White-fronteds (I
may alter these numbers based on today's probable waterfowl flight); all
of the expected dabblers; good variety of divers for Ballard WMA in
winter, the neatest of which was an adult male Black Scoter!

3 "peenting" American Woodcocks next to West KY WMA in pre-dawn

3 Eurasian Collared-Doves in La Center

MANY Red-headed Woodpeckers in the bottomland forests again this winter
(we tallied 83 on the WMA with less than 10 stops)

singles of both species of Cistothorus wrens (Sedge next to West KY WMA;
Marsh at Ballard WMA)

4 Le Conte's Sparrows at Ballard WMA

Lapland Longspurs ... small numbers scattered but at least 130 in the
big fields east of Smokey Road

Brewer's Blackbirds (2 & 11) in rural Ballard County; 2 east of Monkeys
Eyebrow and 11 at the periodically inhabited Smokey Road spot

bpb, Frankfort