[birdky] Re: Purple Finches

  • From: Lisa Muvich <lmuvich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: raptors@xxxxxxxxx, 'birdky' <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:26:55 -0700 (PDT)

I think mine were house finches but, yes, every year they try to perch on the
feeders and can't seem to figure out that there are no seeds in there. They
also like my potted portulaca which I think is a member of the succulent
family. They bite off the leaves for the moisture that leaks out.

  Lisa
  Florence, KY (Boone Co.)

Eileen Wicker <raptors@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    .hmmessage P {   PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM:
0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px  }  BODY.hmmessage {   FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma  }        I wonder if any of you have ever had Purple
Finches feeding at a hummingbird feeder? I had a call yesterday from a woman
that said for 2 years straight she has had purple finches drinking from her
hummer feeders.With the short beaks they have I find that pretty strange.

    Eileen
  Eileen Wicker
  Raptor Rehabilitation of KY Inc.
  (502) 491-1939