[birdky] No sighting. Literary/bird question: what is a quebrantahuessoses?

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:18:06 -0500

I have been reading "The Voyages of Captain Cook"
On his 3rd voyage heading up the west coast of North America he refers to the birds he encounters.

Quote:
 "or flying about in flocks
or pairs, the chief of which were a few quebrantahuessoses,
divers, ducks, or large peterels, gulls, shags, and burres."

I know about divers, ducks, petrels and shags.
But what the heck are quebrantahuessoses????????????
Google and Bing only come up with the text of the book.
Or what about a burre???
Google only comes up with recent people with that name.

Charlie
Henderson Co.