[birdky] No Sooty Terns :o(

  • From: "Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr." <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 09:03:24 -0400

Apologies to all who may have been looking for an update to the most
exciting record in KY in several years . . . Roseanna Denton, Larry Peavler
and myself scanned waters of Kentucky Lake, the lower Ohio River and Lake
Barkley all day yesterday, hoping for the impossible :o)

I think we were all so beat by the time we got home that I'm just now
updating that neither the remnants of Lili nor the exciting visitors she
brought were anywhere in evidence yesterday.  We were all there dutifully
early in the morning -- myself well before sunup, but the day was as
different as two could be; a brisk north breeze probably had the terns back
to the Alabama/Mississippi line.  I think we all thought that would be the
case, but were just hoping we  might run across something different . . . a
Royal Tern or Black Skimmer . . . by mid-morning I was just hoping for a
Sabine's Gull, which never showed, either.

We did see one or two adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls, a young Laughing
Laughing Gull at each of Kentucky Dam and below Smithland Dam, a Dunlin (we
think) below Smithland Dam, about 15 Am White Pelicans above Barkley Dam,
and a number of flocks of American Coots (recent arrivals with the front,
probably).

Thanks to Hap for her admirable attempts at keeping our spirits up during a
portion of the day.  Her stories of the birds dancing on the strong
westerly breezes the day before  were nice to hear, but bittersweet.  I
look forward to seeing David's video clips of what must have been a truely
surreal scene for any KY birder . . .

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx