[birdky] No Piping Plover

  • From: "Robert Dever" <rdever@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY (E-mail)" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:01:53 -0400

After finding the Piping Plover no longer present in Paradise, this
afternoon, I drove over to the Homestead Shorebird area where I found low
water and NR's research cages above water. The following birds were present:
5 Spotted Sandpipers (on the rocks at the dam on the way back to the
Shorebird area),  1 Killdeer, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 5 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1
Solitary Sandpiper, 13 Least Sandpipers which were in 13 variations of
plumage with one being in magnificent breeding plumage. Worth the drive!
Maybe the 'Least' will be first. Also seen were 2 pair of Blue-winged Teal,
lots and lots of Red-winged Blackbirds & Grackles, plus a raccoon belly deep
in the water.
Robert Dever
Louisville, KY