[birdky] Mammoth Cave BBS routes

  • From: "Kistlers" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:46:12 -0500

I ran two routes earlier in June, but just recently got around to tallying my
findings. I didn't find anything unusual for the area, but a pair of Louisiana
waterthrushes were new for the park counts. The best news was that I had the
highest number of wood thrushes I've ever counted during the past 11 years.
They were everywhere. Also, above average numbers of scartlet tanagers,
yellow-billed cuckoos, worm-eating (count record) and hooded warblers.
I only have a total of 83 stops, since there are not enough roads on the north
side of the Green River to accomodate a full fifty. That partial count data
goes to park personnel. Having said that, I counted a total of 63 wood
thrushes, 42 scarlet tanagers, 56 Kentucky warblers, 24 hooded warblers, 22
worm-eating warblers, and approximately 2,000,000 red-eyed vireos!
Steve Kistler