[birdky] Magoffin County yardbirds

  • From: "Douglas Hennig" <hennig@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:41:25 -0500

Greetings

Temperatures in the low 40s today and high 30s with snow flurries this
evening brought out a wonderful variety of birds. Our redbud, peach, plum
and nectarine trees are beginning to bloom too.

Yellow bellied sapsucker

Red bellied wps

Downy wps

Northern Flickers

Pileated wp

A Purple finch in bright raspberry was a highlight since we have not had any
all winter.  He didn't stay.

White throated sparrows

3 Fox sparrows

A small flock of cowbirds

Doves, wb nuthatches, cardinals, titmice, chickadees, juncos

I've decided that we have some Pine Warblers among the scores of gold
finches.  An olive color and bright yellow breast along with the Chipping
Sparrow like trill I'm hearing have drawn me to that conclusion.

Two ruffed grouse surprised Mrs. Hennig as she walked one of our leaf strewn
trails this morning.  The trails have been stirred up by wild turkeys.
Those of you just spotting turkeys for the first time should try to stop and
watch them for a while.  We had one Tom and 6 "Tinas" in our lawn the other
day.  The hens hunted in a group while the gobbler chose to display.  He
moves as if he is on a skate board; slowly moving along in a straight line
with his feet hidden behind feathers he extends only to come to a complete
stop.  A few minutes later he strikes off at another angle seemingly trying
to give the maximum show to the hens that seem to be ignoring him
completely.

Doug Hennig

The Retirement Village at White Oak Heights

Elevation 1160'

Pop. 2