[birdky] L-b Murrelet update

  • From: "Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr." <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:17:13 -0500

Here's an update on the Long-billed Murrelet as of dark tonight . . . .

All afternoon it worked an area from the Big-Four bridge (the abandoned RR
bridge that is the most upstream of Louisville's 6 bridges), upstream for
about a mile.  Best looks were had from the Jeffersonville waterfront.  It
stayed mostly at mid-stream, but occasionally tended to one side or another.

About 3:30 or 4:00 EST, the bird slowly worked downstream, passing
underneath both the Big-Four and Kennedy (I-65) bridges, diving the entire
time.  Once it got below the I-65 bridge, it suddenly tended over to the
Louisville waterfront, where it lingered in front of Joe's Crab Shack for
about 1/2 hour . . . it had finally found the motherload of small shad it
had been looking for . . .  mm-mm-good!  Some of us who had lingered and
some new arrivals, went back across the river to Louisville and parked
along the wharf area where all the cruise boats (Star of Louisville, Bell
of Louisville, etc) dock.  The bird again began to tend downstream, and
worked underneath and then downstream from the 2nd Street (US 31) bridge.
At this point, it treated everyone to the looks of the day, working just on
the outside and in between of the cruise boats . . . one time popping up
just 10-15 feet off the wharf!  It stayed within 50-100 feet of the shore
all the way down to the Louisville Science Center parking lot, where it was
finally left in the fading light, moving somewhat farther back out into the
basin (this was around 6:00 p.m. EST).  Phil Kelly got frame filling
digital photos of the bird when it was close, which he said he'll have
posted at his web site by tomorrow!!!

As far as tomorrow is concerned, Phil, his wife, and Jeff McCoy will be in
the area early.  Anyone joining the search might want to try Jeff's cell
phone (260/615-1911) or channel 11-22 on the FSR radios to see who's around
and seeing what.

We also saw two of the Surf Scoters in the basin late in the afternoon, but
the river was relatively "dry" today.  I also believe I saw an adult Lesser
Black-backed Gull on the river today, between Jeffersonville and the
Louisville Water Co. tower/plant at Zorn Ave.  It was way off and I'm not
sure, but if anyone can relocate and confirm this, it would be a first for
the Louisville area.

bpb, Louisville
brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx