[birdky] Lapland Longspur

  • From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 04:23:29 -0600

Sunday morning, while nefariously collecting a large field rock from a
neighbor's wheat field to incorporate in one of my ongoing rock ledge projects,
I heard a Lapland Longspur rattle in a flyover flock of Horned Larks. This is
the first year the renter of this farm has no-tilled wheat in corn stubble. In
the past, all the renters of nearby farms have used conventional tillage on
corn ground before planting wheat, burying most of the waste corn. The no-till
method leaves the waste corn where winter birds can get to it and knocks the
corn stubble down just good enough to make the field walkable. I'm sure they
switched to this method just for us birders (not).
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County