[birdky] Lake Barkley KEEP Nest Cam Update

  • From: Ed Ray <edrayosprey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:58:35 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday at 10:05 am CDT, the great horned owl at our KEEP camera nest removed
one of two eggs. One end of the egg was open and the egg appeared not to
contain an embryo. At some point KEEP will post photos of the egg removal
sequence at the KEEP web site http://keepky.org/ ; The KEEP camera records and
saves approx 5000 images per day for review to determine nest events and the
date and time when perhaps no one is watching on line.

"Our" former camera Osprey pair returned and finding a gho in the nest had to
relocate and build a new nest. The pair is presently constructing a nest high
in a tree about 1/4 mile west of the KEEP camera platform not far from the Lake
Barkley shoreline. The pair were observed going from the camera platform area
to the new nest site. The 09 ice storm benefited area Ospreys by
providing leveled limbs in tree tops providing an improved base for a nest such
as the site selected by our Osprey pair recently and the pair near our
volunteers balcony two seasons ago. The new nest is very much in the open very
high in a tree and may experience problems with high winds during storms. KEEP
will post photos of the new Osprey nest at the KEEP web site some time in the
future as well as new photos and nest updates.

Ed Ray
Hopkins Co.