[birdky] LEXINGTON DUCKS

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <SMarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:58:26 -0500

Most of the local farm ponds were frozen over on Sunday, leaving the
majority of the water fowl on the reservoirs. There was nothing unusual
to report on the ducks but we had a farm pond that had at least 200 Rock
Dove walking about on the ice. Thirsty? An additional 100 plus were in
the corn stubble adjacent to the pond.

My backyard birds have been hounded by a Cooper's Hawk to the point that
the feed level was hardly changed for 2 days. The immature accipiter is
either not very good at catching food or very hungry. I caught him
eyeing the chickens one day but I can't imagine he would tackle
something that big even if he could get to them. The formative years of
my life were spent on a farm with lots of chickens and the only ones
that I ever knew to be killed by birds of prey were killed by either
Red-tailed Hawks or Great Horned Owls, even though it was the Cooper's
that my dad called  the "chicken hawk". Everyone should get to see a
Red-tail Hawk slam into a Buff Orpington at least once.

Scott

Lexington, KY