[birdky] Ky/Barkley/Smithland 16-17 December 2009

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:19:54 -0800 (PST)

HONKER BAY/BARKLEY
Am White Pelican (~300)

BARKLEY DAM
Thayer's Gull (adult both days)

KY LAKE/LITTLE BEAR RAMP
Pacific Loon (w/Hap)
Sandhill Crane (~90 westbound)

17 December
OHIO RIVER/SMITHLAND DAM
Surf Scoter (adult male and adult female)
Black Scoter (female)

KY LAKE/MARSHALL CO
Black Scoter (2 female)

Waterfowl species observed on the trip were Canada Goose, Gadwall, Am Wigeon,
Am Black, Mallard, No Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Ring-necked,
Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Surf Scoter, Black Scoter, Bufflehead, Common
Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser, Red-breasted Merganser and Ruddy.  Scaup and
goldeneye are present in the thousands with many Greater Scaup.  A good number
of loons was present on Kentucky on the 16th but few the next day.  Many Horned
Grebes are still scattered on Ky.  Bald Eagles were observed at several stops.

It is often difficult or impossible to scrutinize the mid-lake rafts of
waterfowl on these reservoirs due to refraction as a result of temperature
difference between water and air, but one of those magical times occurred on
the afternoon of the 17th with ideal viewing conditions.  The lake was like
glass and the sky was lightly overcast.  The water temperature was 47 degrees
as was the air temperature according to the thermometer in my car when I
arrived at Birmingham Point on Ky Lake.  Standing on the clay bank for a little
elevation gain, through my scope I could easily read the flood gate warning
sign on the face of the dam over 6 miles away.  It was a great pleasure
leisurely looking through the birds on that calm water with no heat
distortion.  The whistling of goldeneye wings as they moved around the lake
could be heard for a great distance, with "Whistler" being an appropriate
nickname given them by the old-time waterfowlers.

David Roemer
Bowling Green