[birdky] INFO: Previous Kentucky White-winged Crossbill irruption records

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:59:58 -0500

In case you are wondering where the recent crossbill flight ranks in
Kentucky's ornithological history ...

Prior to last week's reports, I can find 24 published records (plus a
few more possibly unpublished records gleaned from records summaries
compiled by Anne L. Stamm) of White-winged Crossbill in the state by
county as follows:

Breathitt (1)

Bullitt (2)

Calloway (1)

Fayette (4) + 2 unpublished (ALS)

Hancock (1)

Jefferson (10) + 1 unpublished (ALS)

Madison (1)

Meade (1)

Nelson (1)

Trimble (1)

Warren (1)

So in the past week, we've added new records for

Campbell County (Sarah Hume & Frank Renfrow)

Kenton County (Don Martin)

and

Wolfe County (Andy Newman)

and, of course, the 5th Fayette County record (David Lang, et al.).

If anyone is aware of reports not included in the brief summary above,
please let me know.

Based on reports of flocks, previous flights have been documented during
the following winters (most notable flights marked with asterisks):
1937-38, *1954-55*, 1963-64, *1965-66*, *1969-70*, *1971-72*, 1975-76,
*1977-78*, 1980-81, and *1981-82*. In between 1981-82 and last week,
there were only 3 reports of single individuals.

With no birds seen at the best spot in Louisville this morning (although
I could have easily missed them), I'm wondering if this irruption may
have an "eastern" bias, especially with so many more Pine Siskins in the
eastern part of the state this winter?

In previous irruption years, birds have lingered into mid- to late
March, so hopefully the mild weather will not cause them to head right
back north, and we'll be able to add some more new locales.

BPB, Frankfort