[birdky] INFO: "My" solution to recent quiz on rare birding locales in Kentucky ...

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:36:29 -0500

 LOCATIONS FOR KENTUCKY'S RAREST OBSERVATIONS

One can look at the topic in several different ways, but a few years ago I
chose one way of compiling a list of the locales where the "rarest" birds have
been seen in Kentucky; different manners of compilation could result in a
slightly different list. I used locales where only birds that have been found
in Kentucky "about 5 times" or less frequently were included; I say "about"
because there are a few where we don't know if the same bird was involved or
not (i.e. 2009's immature Brown Pelican). A bunch of interesting little, mostly
meaningless conclusions can be drawn from such an exercise, a few of which I
will mention! The listing that follows uses published reports through August
2009. This was not an exercise I was completing for a college final exam or
being paid to do, so please excuse any omissions or lapses that might be
present. I had originally envisioned this being part of a book on KY birds, but
I know I'll never get around to it!!! This was pasted in from a MS Word
document, so I apologize if it ends up being garbled and will try to repost if
it is unreadable.

Rarities have been found in a variety of manners, and I thought about the
locales in categories defined by manners of detection as follows:

1) "commonly birded areas" ... these are the expected places for rarities to be
found because they are interesting habitats for uncommon birds that are birded
frequently and regularly. In fact, when one splits sites out like this, only a
couple of rare bird locales end up being in any other category, but there are
*many* others with only one report (the last 3 categories below):

2) locations of what one might call "random finds " ... there are a number of
locations where random observations of rarities have occurred, especially by
non-birders or birders who weren't really birding!

3) "CBC" effect rarity locations ... then there is an interesting class of sits
that are known because of the sighting of birds that would have been random
encounters except that they occurred during organized events, most specifically
Christmas Bird Counts ... this group highlights how many unusual birds are
probably out there that are only encountered because birders actually get out
and beat the bushes for them.

4) "feeding stations" ... this is a class of rarities in and of itself; it
pools finds by both birders and non-birders.

With some "wiggle room" for groupings, there are actually only seven general
locations in the state where more than two of the state's "rarest" bird
observations as defined above have occurred, but at least one of them may be
quite surprising ...

Commonly birded areas

Kentucky Dam & adjacent Kentucky Lake (10)

Brown Pelican

Brown Pelican

Brown Pelican

Sooty Tern

Sooty Tern

Audubon's Shearwater

Long-tailed Jaeger

Pomarine Jaeger

Pomarine Jaeger

Little Gull

The largest body of water in the state; formerly the most accessible site for
seeing some sort of weird waterbird. Who knows if many more will be found here
if access is restricted. One might note that this site and *many* below are
human-created habitats; our KY state list of birds would be much less extensive
if humans hadn't cleared lots of land and created large reservoirs ... I,
myself, would rather still have Ivory-billed Woodpeckers, Passenger Pigeons,
and Greater Prairie-Chickens, but we have to take what hand we are dealt,
right?!

Ohio River at and near Cincinnati, Kenton/Campbells cos (9)

King Eider

King Eider

Black-capped Petrel

Black-capped Petrel

Northern Gannet

Brown Pelican

Little Gull

Sooty Tern

Harlequin Duck

This is probably the most surprising site in the list ... how many KY birders
regularly bird this stretch of the river???? Some were random occurrences
including hunter-harvested waterfowl

Falls of the Ohio, Jefferson Co (7)

Brant

Black-headed Gull

Gull-billed Tern

Band-rumped Storm-Petrel

Curlew Sandpiper

Brown Pelican

Reddish Egret

Another site on the Ohio River ... as a side bar here, if it was more
accessible, the stretch of the Mississippi River that forms Kentucky's far
western boundary would probably rank right up there.

Lake No. 9, Fulton Co (4)

Mottled Duck

Mottled Duck

Common Ground-Dove (random obsevation while visiting for waterbirds)

Say's Phoebe (random observation from nearby pumping station)

Like other sites in this list, there are *numerous* other sightings of more
frequently recorded "rarities" that have been made at this locale.

Sinclair Unit Peabody WMA, Muhlenberg Co (4)

Swallow-tailed Kite

Northern Shrike

Northern Shrike

Neotropic Cormorant (at adjacent Paradise Power Plant slurry pond)

The fact that this area has only been birded since the late 1980s makes this a
great site for potential future rarities observations.

McElroy Lake & vicinity (3)

Tufted Duck

Curlew Sandpiper

Little Gull

How long would this list be if the lake formed every year ... or if Gordon
Wilson would have had today's optics?!?!?!?!?

#7 (an admittedly loosely defined area, but thought I'd highlight it)

Danville & vicinity, Boyle Co

Rock Wren

Vermilion Flycatcher

Varied Thrush

These are all random observations, but the first two were found during somewhat
routine, "near to home" birding.

* * * * * * * * * * *

The next 12 locales have had MORE THAN one "rare" bird sighting. They are all
somewhat regularly birded areas.

Ohio River at Louisville, Jefferson Co (not Falls of the Ohio)

Long-billed Murrelet

Harlequin Duck

If this area was combined with the Falls of the Ohio, it would make the Ohio at
Louisville equivalent to the Ohio River at and near Cincy.

Open Pond, Fulton Co

Smith's Longspur

Fulvous Whistling-Duck

Similarly, this area could be combined with nearby Lake No. 9.

Miss River at Island No. 1, Carlisle Co

Reddish Egret

Swallow-tailed Kite

Sauerheber Unit Sloughs WMA, Henderson Co

Swainson's Hawk

White-faced Ibis

Melco Flood Retention Basin, Jefferson Co

Little Stint

Northern Shrike

Interesting in that this is the most recent addition to this list, only being
built in 2005 and birded since 2006.

WKU Farm, Bowling Green, Warren Co

Cinnamon Teal

Ash-throated Flycatcher

Lexington, Fayette Co

Black-throated Gray Warbler

Groove-billed Ani

Long Point Unit Reelfoot NWR, Fulton Co

Painted Bunting *nearby*

White-faced Ibis

Hickman, Fulton Co

White-winged Dove

Inca Dove

Surrey Hills Farm, Jefferson Co

Black-headed Grosbeak

Rock Wren

Could these two sightings suggest that the rate of return for birding any
random area in the state very regularly would be a super-rarity about once
every 15 or so years ? ? ?

Land Between the Lakes

Varied Thrush

Say's Phoebe

Pack Lane near Garrett, Meade Co (Otter Creek Park CBC)

Spotted Towhee

Mountain Bluebird

This is an especially interesting location in that both first-state records
were found literally only a couple of hundred yards and several years apart
while participating on the Otter Creek Christmas Bird Count!

* * * * * * * * * * *

The following locales have only one rarity:

Regularly birded areas (current or past)

Kentucky Lake near Birmingham Point, Marshall Co

Yellow-billed Loon

Blood River, Kentucky Lake, Calloway Co

Fulvous Whistling-Duck

Sawyer Park, Jefferson Co

Northern Shrike

Lake Barkley, Trigg Co

Neotropic Cormorant

Smithland Dam, Livingston Co

Sooty Tern

Wolf Creek, Logan Co

Bachman's Warbler

Ohio River at Joppa, IL, McCracken Co

Sooty Tern

Horseshoe Road Slough, Henderson Co

Mottled Duck

Near Hailwell, rural Hickman Co

White-tailed Kite

West Ky WMA, McCracken Co

Spotted Towhee

Kendell Recreation Area, Wolf Creek Dam, Russell Co

Brown-headed Nuthatch

Rural n. Ballard Co

Say's Phoebe

Somerset, Pulaski Co

Brant

Smith's Grove, Warren Co

Sage Sparrow

Cave Run Lake, Bath/Rowan cos

Brown Pelican

Lake Cumberland, Russell Co

Brown Pelican

Lake Carnico, Nicholas Co

Brown Pelican

Freeman Lake, Hardin Co

Pomarine Jaeger

Kentucky Bend, Fulton Co

Black Skimmer

Rural w. Boone Co

Swallow-tailed Kite

Central Ky WMA, Madison Co

Swallow-tailed Kite

Randomly encountered observations

Ohio River at Augusta, Bracken

Black-capped Petrel

Rural Simpson Co (I-65 corridor)

Northern Gannet

Pine Mt, Letcher Co

Sooty Tern

Shelbyville, Shelby Co

White-faced Ibis

Frankfort Fish Hatchery, Franklin Co

Band-rumped Storm-Petrel

Rural e. Anderson Co.

Band-rumped Storm-Petrel

Rural n. Carlisle Co

Inca Dove

Christmas Bird Count Observations

Rural Oldham Co (Mayo Lane) (Louisville CBC)

Varied Thrush

Bernheim Forest, Bullitt/Nelson cos (Bernheim Forest CBC)

Spotted Towhee

Near Keysburg, Logan Co (Olmstead CBC)

Say's Phoebe

Rural se. Muhenberg Co (Paradise CBC)