[birdky] I thought you might enjoy this article

  • From: "Debi" <debi1950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:36:22 -0400

Birds flew more than 3,700 miles non-stop

LUND, Sweden (UPI) -- Swedish researchers said they tracked a trio of birds
flying a record-setting 3,728 miles non-stop with an average speed of 43 mph.

The Lund University researchers said the great snipes, birds native to the
northern regions of Eastern Europe and Western Russia, began their journey at
lake Annsjon, near Are, in August 2009 and arrived in West Africa about three
days later, Swedish news agency TT reported Thursday.

The researchers said the flight was the longest-known sustained travel by an
animal moving at high speeds.

"It is almost like a world record," said Ake Lindstrom, an author of the study
and an ecology professor at Lund University. "This means that we will seriously
have to question the ideas we had of what these birds are capable of."

debi lucas
greenup co.