[birdky] I am wondering if/where/Killdeer!

  • From: "Mark Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:44:59 -0600

08 January 2011:

On 28 December, the Olmstead CBC failed, for the first time in 18 years, to
find Killdeer.  Today, Frank Lyne and I spent a couple of hours together
looking for the Rough-legged Hawk that he reported earlier this week.  We
failed to find the bird.  We discussed the killdeer miss and discovered that
both of us have superficially looked for this normally common species and
that neither of us has seen one since the count.  Neither did we see one
today, despite casually searching.

My thinking is simple (like me) and I express it below.

.         Have others noted an absence of Killdeer since the cold wave
arrived around Christmas?

.         If so, where are they?  Pushed further south?  Hiding?  In some
special habitat that we in the Free State of Logan have missed?  Anyone have
them in abundance?

.         If this observation is real, it would be logical that this happens
every time it gets really cold.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

I would appreciate a reply by anyone with something to add.  Thanks.

Mark

Mark Bennett

Russellville, Logan County

benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx