[birdky] Re: Hummingbird Feeding

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:16:39 -0400

I have to disagree with Tim on one point ... our typical Kentucky winters *do
seriously* challenge wintering hummingbirds, even Rufous. There is inevitably
at least one bout of extremely cold weather each winter that is extremely
taxing on both the hummers and their human hosts! Sometimes these periods are
brief, but they are known to be deadly, and out of more than 40 known winter
Rufous in the state, only three have knowingly made it thru the winter. Some
may move south during cold weather and adult males may actually depart during
late January and February, but some also have been found dead and certainly
others did not make it.

Soooo ... I think Mark is correct to caution anyone who wants to keep a feeder
up late into the fall or all winter ... if you happen to get "lucky" and get a
Rufous or other species, it is very likely that you will be confronted with a
period of weather during which the life of the bird will clearly be on your
shoulders. I know many of us would be willing to take that on, but just be
aware that once a wintering bird becomes established on territory here, you
should be willing to do your best to help the bird survive.

The past has clearly shown that a vast majority of Rufous Hummingbirds in
Kentucky have shown up before or just about the time when our last
Ruby-throateds are departing. So most folks don't even realize they've got
something different until the single bird continues to linger. Sometimes
especially well-adapted individuals don't show up at a feeder until the last
fall flowers are scorched by a freeze, so it's occasionally difficult to
determine when they have actually arrived. Experience has also shown that
*most* of the tardy Ruby-throateds are not in great health; late feeders
probably help them extend their life or gain strength to migrate. And as Mark
said, you *do* have the opportunity in most cases to "opt out" of your
commitment by taking a feeder down *before* the onset of winter weather. No one
has come up with a universally accepted "late" date to recommend, but mid- to
late November probably gives the odd Rufous enough opportunity to find other
food sources and move farther south before the onset of serious winter weather.

But *don't* take your feeder down before you holler at one of us! As Mark also
noted, please report hummers that are lingering, especially after the first of
November, and we'll do our best to try to figure out what they are and provide
further recommendations on what to do regarding leaving your feeder up. On the
web site link below is a nice section on winter hummingbird banding that
includes pointers on maintaining a hummingbird feeder during winter.

Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr. (& Mark Monroe)
Hummer Bird Study Group
http://www.hummingbirdsplus.org/