[birdky] Hummingbird Abundance Survey

  • From: RESEARCH Hilton Pond <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:28:42 -0400

In the eastern and central U.S. and Canada, numbers of Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds, Archilochus colubris, in spring are always less than in
summer and fall after young of the year have left the nest.

Thus, in spring observers commonly ask "Where are the hummingbirds?"
We typically respond that the population will increase as the
breeding season unfolds. Even so, in 2005 we have heard unusually
frequent concerns that numbers of spring RTHUs seem to be fewer than
in previous years.

Please participate in our (unscientific) poll on whether RTHUs are
appearing at your observation site in similar, greater, or fewer
numbers than in previous springs.

The poll is at http://www.rubythroat.org/Poll2005Abundance.html

Happy Hummingbird Watching,

BILL
--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org