[birdky] Re: Hummers?

  • From: "bill scates" <wrscates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'BIRDKY'" <Birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:36:04 -0500

We still had four or five coming to feeders in South Warren Co. this
morning.

Interesting observation though. Last week we still had dozens coming to
seven feeders with sometimes four or five sharing the same feeder.

Today, with only a few still coming, they all want to compete over the same
feeder. It doesn't matter which feeder but when one goes for a drink it's
immediately contested by the other birds.

I've noticed over the years that the birds become more competitive as their
numbers dwindle.

I'm not sure why this is. I might guess it's because they're getting ready
to leave but I see the same behavior with first arrivals of the year.

Bill Scates

Woodburn, KY